Surgery is scheduled for April 2nd, Good Friday. We met with the surgeon this afternoon. He has quite a title: professor of surgery, head of general surgery, head of pediatric surgery, and head of cardiac surgery. Wow! Thankful for his level of expertise!
Of course through the visit, the doctor had to give us all the negative possibilities as well as the benefits. I didn't like hearing all of those, but this should make the infusions much simpler. I know that's just part of it, but I think I was wanting more of the cheerleader type conversation, where he told me how this was going to make everything all better :) That's not exactly what he said, but he did say this should give his veins time to rest and heal.
J had a hard time this afternoon. It's hard to know what is 9 yr. old boy pushing the limits or steroids causing the problem or frustration with all the medical "stuff" going on in his world. He was quite frustrated as we arrived at home after the appointment, only to find out we were leaving immediately to go to baseball practice. When I say he "found out" that we had to leave immediately, what I really mean is that I mentioned it several times on the way home, discussed it with him, told him what we would do to get ready to leave, and he said "okay"! However, once we arrived at home, it was quite a different story. He was UNHAPPY with me, to say the least. However, we still headed out the door to practice, just with a few less Wii days for J. It's difficult right now to get to the root of what is the problem when he is upset. He's very intense, which I'm certain is from the steroids in his system. I think his frustration with everything comes out all at once, if given the opportunity. My goal is just to be very consistent with him, not allowing him to be disrespectful, but to understand that he probably doesn't understand all that he's thinking/feeling. So, I dropped him off at practice, and I went to Academy! By the time I got back, he was having the greatest time and was in a much better frame of mind. As soon as he hopped in the car, he apologized so sweetly...and again at dinner.
So, that's our life now. I thought I would add a picture the update this time. This is a picture of J at the art show for his school. His piece is the fish over his head on the yellow paper...just in case you thought he drew the princess picture beside him. Thought I should clarify that. So proud of that boy......
3 comments:
Bless you Mama:( I feel so much for you and for him. When the much needed med jacks with the emotions it just takes it to a whole new level. I am so sorry and am praying tonight for your continued strength and wisdom as you guide him through this journey. Love to you all.
Love the art Jake! If you become inspired, I would love for you to create a colorful picture for each of my girls that I could frame and use to decorate their room. They would be thrilled to have something from their "cousin" Jake!!
Ok, so I'm just discovering that you have been updating your long forgotten blog!!! Yay! Good job, friend. I love reading all your thoughts..
Post a Comment