Monday, October 27, 2008

Camping at Lake Lavon

We went camping this weekend. We absolutely love camping, and we wanted to get one more trip in before it got too cold. Paul was on call over the weekend, so we needed to go somewhere close to M--. We visited Lake Lavon and stayed at Lavonia Park. It's a Corps of Engineers property. Normally, we go to a Texas State Park. At this time of year, though, all of the campsites are booked in advance. Since this was a last minute trip, we just took what we could get.



I am really hoping to figure out how to post pictures from our camping trip. I need to find the cord for my camera to upload pics. If you read my other post, our office is still not unpacked....and the cord is up there. That's one of my goals for today. Anyway, the weather was absolutely beautiful. October is definitely camping weather in Texas. It was cold at night, but Paul built beautiful fires. We also packed plenty of warm clothes for layering and blankets. We actually got a little too warm in our tent at night. The morning was a different story. Quite chilly to get out of bed. The days definitely made the cold nights worth it.



Some people, girls especially, wonder why in the world I go camping and love it. Paul and I talk about this everytime we go. For me, there are several benefits. It completely takes me out of my scheduled world, where I'm always working on a "checklist", calendar, timeline, etc. I don't think I'm able to relax as fully as I do when we're camping. There's always something more I should be doing at home. When we're camping, all expectations are gone. Sitting in front of a fire at night, looking at the stars, listening to the fire crackle is just an amazing experience. Also, watching my boys, they really thrive when we are camping. They were occupied and entertained and just enjoying being boys. I loved watching them right after they woke up, getting dressed, and running outside to ride their bikes, hunt for more grasshoppers, check their little collections.......It's a great retreat from the daily scheduled chaos of urban American life.



Paul and I have a standard rule that we've never told the boys, but we don't bring any electronic gadjets camping....only a cd player (well, and our phones). We bring lots of games in case the weather changes, but all of the entertainment is out doors. I love it. They find their entertainment. That's another aspect of why I enjoy camping so much. I think we are stimulated so much on a daily basis, that we don't even realize how little we are able to completely relax.



The only out of the ordinary excitement we had over the weekend was that D chipped a tooth and got a black eye. Of course, his picture day is this Wednesday. We were all playing football and some how the boys ran head first into one another. He chipped off the tip of it and some of the front of the tooth. It's rough on the outside. So I'll be calling his dentist this morning. I don't know if they'll want to smooth it off or put a sealant on it or not. I guess I'll know more this morning.



That's what is going on in the Davis gang this great Monday morning!

3 comments:

Ginger said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I enjoy reading you blog. See you next week.

Kendra said...

Ok, so I'm just now getting "caught up" on your life!! Silly that I have to check your blog to see what's going on, but I missed my "drive to and from work" opportunities to catch you this week. Bummer. Miss you. Sorry about the tooth and the black eye. Especially right before picture day!! Wish I could go camping with you guys. I love it, too - the feeling does not extend to my sweet other half, though, you know!!

And you are right about posting pics - just post them centered and you'll be fine. Warning - they post above the text, so you have to move them around a little, but it's not too hard. You can do anything!!

Call you after your fun quilt show weekend!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about camping. I'll have to give this some thought - I've been anti-camping for a long time and maybe I should try it again with a different attitude.